How To Teach Children Values That Will Help Them Become Responsible AdultsAuthor: Nicole Roberts
Teaching your children good values is an essential aspect of raising responsible children. As a parent, your children's personal values are your own responsibility, and you want to make sure that you shape them into the adults that you truly want them to become. A child won't learn this important life lesson in an hour, or even in a classroom. This is a lesson that lasts throughout childhood and over the course of the child's lifetime. If you expect your children to grow into adulthood with good values you should learn how to teach children values. There are several steps you can take to teach children values.
1. Live an exemplary life. Children learn by watching adults and then copy what they see. They learn what they are shown and taught. Your child is watching the way you live and how you react to life. Live a life worthy of emulation if you want to instill good values in your child. Live in a way that shows good values and your child will learn from you.
2. Start early to teach values for kids. Don't wait until your child is in high school. It is better start teaching good values to children when they're very young. This will implant strongly in their mind and carry them through their teen years.
3. Pay attention to what your children are watching. Children learn from watching television programs, looking at magazines and even from looking at the Internet. These resources show examples of both good values and poor values, and make a great impact on a child's life. Pay attention to what shows or pictures your children are looking at or learning from. Talk to your children about what they see. Let them know that those who are exemplifying poor values will reap the repercussions of those values.
4. Be consistent of what you say to children. What this means is that you should not be saying one thing and then do another thing. Children are very observant to what the grown-ups do. Children have no respect for people who are inconsistent. Children get confused in a scenario like this and they will never believe you again in whatever you teach them. If you want to earn their respect, you must live what you teach them. That is an effective way of teaching children.
5. Teach your children about money management. Don't just buy anything your children ask for. Even though you love your children, you also want them to learn good values so they can become responsible adults. When it comes to values for kids, money management is an essential lesson a child should learn right from a young age. Sometimes you have to say no to their request if it's not a necessity. Be firm when you say no, and be sure that you explain to them why you will not buy it.
Once you know how to teach children values and apply the steps, your children will certainly take these values into adulthood and will be grateful to you for the valuable lessons you instilled in them
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/parenting-articles/how-to-teach-children-values-that-will-help-them-become-responsible-adults-6225384.html
About the Author
We have been chosen to "lead" and "teach" these little souls what life is about and how to teach children values…AND…this is what I want to assist you in doing with the children you have been entrusted to lead and guide.